Making It Through the Tough Times

Daughter Molly Visiting Dad Yesterday
For the past three weeks, my son has been spending his days and nights as a patient in Lancaster General Hospital. What began as a surgery with a predicted discharge for the third or fourth day post op ... has turned into a roller coaster ride of ups and downs that have brought frustration and tears to my son and those of us who love him most. But finally today ... it appears that he is on the verge of being released. He will be going home with a pic line in his arm (to continue his iv antibiotics for the next one to two weeks) ... but that's OK. At least he will be home!

As I reflect on this time ... a few things stand out as to how I dealt with this difficult time.

1. I found comfort in prayer. Being able to go to the God who loves my son more than I do, and ask him to bring healing Tim's way, comforted my heart and steadied my emotions. Knowing, too, that so many others were praying (from India to Africa .... from Seattle to Erie) was a HUGE "shot in the arm!"

2. I found courage in others. Even though it sometimes became tiring to continually answer the question, "How's Tim?" ... I am so glad people were asking. If people didn't care, they would not have bothered asking. So it did my soul good to know people were concerned for Tim.

3. I found reassurance in the medical team caring for my son. Across the course of his surgery and subsequent recovery, my son has had five different groups of doctors managing his care (GI, Surgery, Infectious Disease, Pulmonary, Radiology). Add to these doctors the numerous nurses, patient care assistants, etc. who have been involved in his care and you are talking a small crowd. There are many places in the world where this level of care is simply not available. I am very thankful for all these individuals have done on behalf of my son.

4. I found strength in the sovereignty of God. Knowing that Tim was ultimately in the hands of the God who never makes a mistake ... a God who has a plan for all of us and is actively working that plan gave me hope and stability - even during the darkest days when everything that could go wrong seemed to do so. Many nights as we crawled into bed, none of us knew what the next day would bring. But we knew the God who did ... and for the most part, that was enough (I found myself praying often, "I believe, help my unbelief" - Mark 9:23-24).

So for ALL of you who prayed, a heartfelt "thank you!" from me on behalf of my son, his wife and his two children! And if you are going through a difficult time, I hope some of the things that helped me will help you!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...