What Ever Happened to Common Sense?

Common sense is defined as "sound practical judgment." Common sense came to mind as I viewed the adjacent photo sent to me by one of my staff (I think some people who know me believe I am suffering from OMD - Obsessive Meterological Disorder - I readily admit that I have a fascination with the weather ...afterall, who wants to get rained on simply because you did not know to bring an umbrella along!).

Take another look at this rather humorous weather forecasting tool. To determine the weather, all you have to do is look at the rock. As you do ... and as you apply some good old fashioned common sense, you will know without a doubt what the weather is like now ... and will be like in the short term future.

What has happened to common sense? People forget the common sense of not spending more than they make. Parents forget that it is they who are in charge and not their kids. Schools suspend students for the silliest of reasons. For example, a six year old in Colorado was suspended for sexual harassment. His crime? He kissed a girl on the hand  (When I was six a girl student in my Kindergarten class was so excited about a valentine card I had given her - which I gave to her ONLY because we were REQUIRED to give a valentine to every student in the class - she planted a huge wet kiss right on my lips. I thought I was going to throw up! I guess today she may have earned a week long suspension for doing so! And at that time, I would not have missed her one bit!).

And the examples could go on for pages. Where has common sense gone? Several years ago, a writer wrote an obituary for Mr. Common Sense. Here is her conclusion:

"Common Sense lost the will to live as churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by his four stepbrothers; I know My Rights, I Want It Now; Someone Else Is To Blame; and I’m A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing."

Hmm. I think this writer got it right when she notes that the parents of Common Sense are Truth and Trust. And what is Truth? The answer is found in the gospel of John. Jesus said, "I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life . . . " (John 14:6). This Jesus, who is the Truth, calls upon us to TRUST Him (John 3:16; John 14:1). As we get to know Jesus and His teachings better ... and trust what he is telling us ... we will find that Common Sense is not dead ... but very much alive in our own lives! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj


No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...