Friday Coffee with PJ

It's FRIDAY!!!!!  That means ... coffee .. and a few random thoughts for you to "chew on" (after dunking in your coffee, of course!).

1. Is it just me and my perspective on things or is our society becoming increasingly in a "rush to judgment" mode? It sure seems to me that "presumed innocent until proven guilty" has been replaced by "presumed guilty until proven innocent." As a result, often people's hard earned reputations are tarnished by what turn out to be unfounded accusations. This is rather unfortunate, given the importance of a "good name" (Proverbs 22:1). All this to say that we must be even more diligent about becoming men and women whose walk matches our talk. Not perfectly, of course. But with consistency.

2. Here's an old Jewish parable with a lesson that has helped me many times ...

A Jewish farmer lived in a one room house with his wife and five children. One evening he was particularly tired (his donkey had come up lame and so he had to pull his cart back from the village). As he was trying to rest after supper, the kids were being especially rowdy. Frustrated, the farmer left his house and went to see the Rabbi. "Rabbi," he moaned, "I am so tired and all I want to do is to close my eyes and take a little nap. But the kids are so loud ... it is impossible!" "Hmm," responded the Rabbi. "Here is what you must do. Those three chickens you have ... go home and bring them in the house." Well, the farmer looked at the Rabbi with disbelief. But, since he was THE Rabbi, and since the Rabbi knew best, he went home and gathered up the chickens and brought them into the house. The next day, just as the sun was coming up, the farmer was back at the Rabbi's. "Oh Rabbi .... all I want is a little peace and quiet. Now not only do I have the kids laughing and screaming ... but the chickens are constantly clucking and flapping their wings. What can I do?" "Hmm," responded the Rabbi. "Go home...and that goat you have ... bring it into the house." The farmer scratched his head, almost began to argue ... but stopped ... as THE Rabbi had much more wisdom than he did. So he went home and brought in the goat, which almost immediately began to chew on anything within reach. Before the sun went down that day, the farmer was back at the Rabbi's house. "Rabbi, I have done what you have told me to do. I have brought in the chickens. I have brought in the goat. And there is still no peace and quiet in my home!" "Hmm," the Rabbi responded. "Now go home and bring your donkey into the house." At this point, the farmer opened his mouth to begin to object. But with one finger to his lips, the Rabbi stopped even a word from escaping the farmer's lips. After all, THE Rabbi was always right. So the farmer shuffled back home and reluctantly brought in the donkey, which wanted to stay outside and let everyone in the house know with its constant braying! The next day, as the sun was just beginning to brighten the eastern horizon, the farmer was back pounding on the Rabbi's door. "Rabbi, I just can't take this anymore!" the farmer shouted. "Hmm," responded the Rabbi. "Now go home, and remove from your house the donkey, goat and chickens." "But Rabbi ...." And that is as far as the farmer got as the Rabbi once again silenced him with a look. So, the farmer once again shuffled home and removed the animals as he was told to do. Early the next morning he returned to see the Rabbi. "Oh Rabbi!" he exclaimed. "You are such a man of wisdom. Yesterday was such a day of peace and tranquility in my home. How can I ever thank you?" And the wise Rabbi, simply smiled.

The moral of this story ... it could always be worst. Therefore, learn to be content with what God, in his providence has given you (Philippians 4:11).

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...