It's All about Communication!

The other morning I woke up to the singing of what sounded like the All-American Choir of Birdland! As it was still dark outside, I looked at my alarm clock to check the time. The clock read 4:40! That got me to thinking, "Why do these birds start singing so early in the morning?" I mean, some of us would rather be sleeping than be serenaded by the local neighborhood bird choral society! This morning, I did some quick research on that question ... and here is what I discovered (and I quote):

"Birds don't sing for fun or entertainment, they sing to communicate. What you may not know is that, with few exceptions, it is the males that are doing all the singing. They sing to attract a mate and to announce their territory. Each day, as soon as possible, the males want to make sure that everyone knows that they are alive and well and ready to defend their territory. What is interesting, although it may all sound the same to us, is that there is some evidence suggesting that each bird has its own unique song and other birds know it. We hear the lovely call of a robin, while other robins hear 'This is Vinny, stay away and nobody gets hurt'.

Another reason why birds sing at the crack of dawn is that the pre-dawn hours are usually the quietest part of the day. The sun hasn't had a chance to stir up the air. The birds’ voices are a lot clearer without having to compete with the sound of the wind blowing through trees or without having to be heard above those annoying backup beeps on dump trucks."

Now that makes a lot of sense to me. Communication is important for us people - so I guess it is important for them birds! But we can learn something here from our feathered friends. Think with me for a moment about marriages. Having been married myself for almost 29 years (our anniversary is next Sunday - which is also Mother's Day AND the day after my daugher Kate's college graduation which is the day after her birthday - not to mention a wedding that I am officiating down in Virgina next Saturday evening!) and having observed other marriages, all of us could use a little help in this area of communication. And just as communication is vital in Birdland, it is even more important in marriage. Recently I picked up a book that Sharon and I have begun reading together. It is already helping us in this vital area. The title is Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti: Understanding and Delighting in Your Differences. I recommend that you pick up a copy for yourself. If you apply its principles, I think you will be hearing your spouse (and being heard by your spouse) much more clearly!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...