Questions from a Commencement Address

The past two Saturday mornings, I have spent a total of four hours sitting through two different college commencement ceremonies. If you have yet to experience one of these, go prepared for the long haul. It takes a while to announce anywhere from 750 to 1200 names!

Philip Yancey, prolific Christian author (if you have not yet read his most recent book, Praying, I highly recommend you get it and read it!) was this past Saturday's commencement speaker. In a brief fifteen minute address, he gave me a lot of chew on! Among other things, he made mention of a recent accident he suffered. He was driving home on a mountain road in his home state of Colorado when he lost control of his SUV on a sharp curve. After several flips, the vehicle came to rest. Yancey survived, but has spent the past 12 weeks in a neck brace (Saturday's commencement was his first public appearance without the brace). As Yancey reflected on that experience, he said there were four questions that ran through his mind as he was awaiting surgery at the hospital (he was told that there were several bone fragments dangerously close to an artery - any movement could mean death). His four questions as he faced death are questions all of us can ask ourselves to make sure we are where we need to be in life. They are: Who do I love? Who will I miss? What have I accomplished with my life? And am I ready for what lies ahead?

Please take a moment and ask yourself these questions. If you are not satisfied with the answers, perhaps you need to make some changes. Don't wait until you are on your death bed - it will be far too late then!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...