Am I a "Driven" Person? Hmm...Probably More than I Would Like to Admit!

Driven people -- on the go. Never slowing down. Always being propelled forward by agendas and to do lists. More than I would like to admit - I am far too often a driven person.

This came out on our homeward drive last week from the beach. My "driveness" first exhibited itself as we came to a toll plaza and I noticed that the far left lanes were express lanes for those with an E-ZPass. "Humph," I griped to my wife. "I wish I had an E-ZPass." Then as we lined up in the "Cash Only" gate, I noticed a motorcyclist two spots ahead of us. As he came to the window, he had to dig out his wallet to get some cash. This proved a challenge for him as he was in his rain gear due to the inclement weather. What seemed like a full twenty minutes (which my wife assured me was two at the most), he finally got his hands on some cash and paid the toll. During this time as I watched -- I seethed AND complained to my wife, my daughter and to anyone who would listen (and I had to literally sit on my hands to avoid blowing the horn!). Now I am sure not proud of my behavior and attitude - in fact, shortly after it all happened I was silently confessing my sin to the Lord. But I share it with you to show you how driven we can be. I mean, that whole experience meant that I got home that night at 9:06 instead of 9:04. Big deal!

My guess is that many of you are also driven (some more than me - some less). Most of us could probably benefit by just pausing, taking a deep breath, and relaxing a little (or as my twenty something kids say, "Chilling!"). So, in the midst of the busyness of life -- and the agendas and to do lists that tend to drive us - let's all take time out to "be still and know that the Lord is God" (See Psalm 46).

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...