T.G.I.F.

The popular acronym T.G.I.F. represents the phrase Thank God It's Friday or Thank Goodness It's Friday or Terribly Gleeful It's Friday. Whichever is meant by the speaker or writer, what is being communicated is the relief that for most, the work week is almost over and the two day weekend is about to begin. (For me it is hard to relate to this feeling, as my weekends tend to be quite busy - after all, my one day of work is on the weekend!) :)

Truly, though, I can understand the relief felt by many. American workers are the most productive in the world. One reason for that is we work long hours and a growing number never take a vacation - according to a report I just viewed this week on NBC Nightly News. Now it is good that so many American workers work hard. But it is not good that increasingly people are forgoing their vacation. In the busyness of the American "Rat Race" - all of us need "down time." In fact, God in His infinite wisdom built "down time" into the regular cycle of life with the Sabbath commandment (one of the original Ten). The Hebrew word for sabbath carries the idea of rest ... and we are called upon by God to rest from our regular daily routine one day out of every seven (see Exodus 20:8-13). As part of this one day out of seven rest - we need to retool not just physically but also spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually. I truly hope in the busyness of life -- you are taking time to get the rest you need and to retool yourself regularly to face the ongoing demands of life in this busy world. I try to do this and when I fail, it does not take long before I realize I am "running on Empty!" Next week - I AM taking a week of vacation for some badly needed R&R (Rest and Retooling) -- I hope you do the same this summer!


Thanks for listening,


pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...