Father's Day Gifts That I've Been Enjoying!

On June 17th we celebrated Father's Day. This is the day in which dads of all sizes and shapes are supposed to be shown by their children just how much they are loved. One way to express love in our culture is by giving gifts. My kids did not disappoint me. My oldest daughter gave me a couple of shirts, my son a couple of books, and my youngest daughter went in with my wife to buy me a nifty lawn chair that allows me to get almost entirely horizontal! I was pleased. I have worn the shirts, read the books, and spent several afternoons in my back yard lounging and napping on my new chair. And guess what? My kids are pleased! As they see me use their gifts it brings them pleasure!

In a similar way, God our heavenly Father gives gifts to us! We often refer to them as spiritual gifts (to see a list of these gifts, go to 1 Corinthians 12; Romans 12; 1 Peter 4). And when we use these spiritual gifts, it brings pleasure to our God, the giver of these gifts. He gives us these gifts for us to use them. But unlike the gifts my kids gave to me which I use for myself, God's gifts are meant to be used in HIS service. God makes us and shapes us (one way he does this is by gifting us!) so that HE may use us for HIS kingdom! Now that is something to get excited about!

Thanks for listening,
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...