Another "Blog Flashback!"



The following thoughts I originally posted on my blog in March of 2006. This "blog flashback" is well worth a second read (and a first read if you have never read it before!).


You Really Can’t Judge a Book by Its Cover

The book arrived via UPS. It had an attractive cover. The title was intriguing. It looked like a book that would provide what I call a “good read.” And if the read was good enough, I would bump it up to a “must read.” However, when I opened the book, I encountered a problem. There was no title page. No page with all the publisher info and date of publication. No table of contents. No preface or introduction. The very first page was page 25. Starting from there the book contained up to page 48 and then started all over again with page 25 (and from there was OK). When I realized I had a defective book in my hands, the book slipped from the “good read” category to the “no read” category. I notified the book seller and they have promised to replace the book.

We can be a lot like this book. Others look at us and they see us with attractive “covers” and intriguing “titles.” But on the inside – in the depths of our hearts and the secret corners of our minds – we harbor sin. Sin such as envy, jealousy, greed, lust, anger, discontentment, ingratitude, prejudice and hatred. Friends, we can hide our sins from others. We can apply the paint and trim and wear attractive “covers” but God sees our hearts. He knows our thoughts. Let’s come clean with Him. On a regular basis let’s grab hold of the promise of 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Let’s strive to be holy!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...