What Happened To My Week of Vacation?

When I awoke on Monday, I had one of those moments trying to figure out where I was and what day it was. As the mind-fog of a good night's sleep began to clear, I realized that it was Monday and that it was time to head back to work. My vacation was over. And it sure sped past quickly! Don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful time. I got unplugged from the world and spent several delightful days with family down at the beach. All in all it was a very good week. But here I am sitting at my computer and writing this blog - wondering how it went by so quick! And I am sure you all can relate!

Time has a way of moving by quickly. James in his fourth chapter uses the analogy of vapor or mist to describe the brevity of life. He writes, "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14). He is right. Time does move quickly. Four years ago (can it really be that four years have passed?) my father and then my mother died just six weeks apart. After my mother's burial, I was standing at the graves of my mother's sister and her husband (whose burial sites are next to my parents' sites). One of my cousins walked up beside me. After several moments of silence, my cousin turned to me and said, "Your mom was the last of her generation. We are now the oldest generation of the family." I had not thought of that before he said it - but he was right. But that is life - right? A generation is born, flourishes for a time and then dies. Our lives on this planet are like a mist, a puff of steam that is here today and gone tomorrow.

Because life is so brief my friend, we MUST make every moment COUNT. We MUST "make the most of every opportunity" (see Colossians 4 and Ephesians 5). We have only one life to live -- and only what's done for Jesus will last!


Thanks for listening,


pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...