Show Some Respect!

Yesterday I talked about ALWAYS being ready to apologize (to give someone a reason for your faith in Christ). I quoted 1 Peter 3:15. I want to point out something crucial in that verse that you and I MUST always remember. Here again is what Peter said, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." Did you see Peter's last seven words? Did they really sink in? As we defend our faith - we must do so with gentleness and respect. I wish we Christians would remember that more often!

Here is a story from my past that illustrates what I am driving at. Between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I had a job at Hershey Park. I worked from 11 at night to 7 in the morning. I was part of the park clean up crew. This crew consisted of mainly college aged guys who spent all night hosing down the park. One night on break, one of the other guys approached me and began asking me spiritual questions. When we were done, he thanked me and told me the following: While attending college (he had just graduated that May), he had many Christians who approached him to talk to him about their faith. In his words, they tried to jam their beliefs down his throat. But he said I was different - and he appreciated that. How was I different? I believe it was that I tried to treat those around me with respect. Too many Christians that I have known have been downright rude while trying to apologize. Let's heed Peter's words ... and always remember to share "with gentleness and respect!"

Thanks for listening,

pj
P.S. I will be heading to Indiana this morning. I will be back to posting next Tuesday. "See" you then!

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...