Racial Equality?

Yesterday, my wife, Sharon and I had a "Date Day" which included a trip to the movies. The movie we chose, The Great Debaters is based on a true story (the photo here is of the actual debate team). The story unfolds in the mid 1930's in the small Texas town of Marshall. Against the backdrop of rampant (and sometimes deadly) prejudice against African-Americans, a small all black college debate team exceeds all expectations by going to Harvard and defeating the Harvard debate team ... who just happened to be the national champs. For me the movie was both inspiring and sobering.

The film inspires because it climaxes with a classic David vs. Goliath confrontation - with David winning the fight. I liked that! But the movie was also sobering in its portrayal of racial hatred that flourished in our country in the 1930's - especially in the deep South. Sad to think that people can be so hateful of another human being simply because his or her skin color is different. As I thought on this, I am grateful that we have come a long way since then in this country. However, we still have a ways to go. Racial prejudice is still alive and all too well in this country. With this said, let me address any follower of Christ who might be reading this blog posting - There is NO ROOM in the heart of a Christ-follower for the evil of racial prejudice. So please, examine your heart and if you have to, confess and repent of any racial prejudice you find there. God calls us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves - and he puts NO QUALIFIERS on that command!

Thanks for stopping by ...

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...