Learn to Laugh! It's Good for You!

Recently, I spent time with a third grader. During our conversation he told me that had had just watched his parents wedding video (at which I officiated) and he said, "You looked a lot different then - you even had hair! But one thing is good - you still have your sense of humor!" Now this little guy did not have to point out the obvious (about the hair - or better said the lack of it!). But I was glad he thought I still had a sense of humor.

I believe a sense of humor is a valuable asset. Life is too short, too hard, too uncertain - and without the ability to laugh (and especially to laugh at yourself!) life would be one very tough path to walk. In fact, there are many therapeutic benefits of laughter. According to holistic online, "Dr. Lee Berk and fellow researcher Dr. Stanley Tan of Loma Linda University in California have been studying the effects of laughter on the immune system. To date their published studies have shown that laughing lowers blood pressure, reduces stress hormones, increases muscle flexion, and boosts immune function by raising levels of infection-fighting T-cells, disease-fighting proteins called Gamma-interferon and B-cells, which produce disease-destroying antibodies. Laughter also triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, and produces a general sense of well-being." Bottom line - laughter is a good thing. So learn to laugh! Because as the song from the movie, Mary Poppins reminds us, "It's Fun to Laugh!"

The Bible supports what modern research has revealed about the benefits of laughter. Proverbs 17:17 tells us that "a cheerful heart is good medicine." When my heart is cheerful, I find myself smiling and laughing a lot. So be sure that you take the medicine that the Good Physician's book recommends - and learn to laugh!

Thanks for stopping by,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...