Oh What Love!

Gone are the days when I would walk in my front door after a long day at the office and get mobbed by three little Smiths! For starters, my son (our middle child) is now married. Our oldest daughter (due to be married this October) has been living on her own for several years. This leaves only our youngest daughter still at home. But that will change come June 29th when she gets married. But even though one of my kids is still at home, it is still not the same.

I was reminded of this yesterday. I arrived home for supper and noticed her car in the driveway. I walked in the front door and called out a "Hello! I'm home!" My wife (bless her heart!) came running to greet me. But nothing out of my daughter. Since she gets up early to drive her 45-50 minute commute to school, I just figured she was taking a nap. Wrong! Shortly after I walked in the door, her Mr. "captured my heart" walked in the door. Within seconds of hearing his voice, my daughter bounded down the steps - just like she used to do for me.

Now do not get me wrong. I could not be happier for my daughter. She found her soul mate, just as I did some 30 years ago. But still. I must be honest. It does sting a little. But I will get over it. After all, this is what we raised her to do ... in bird terminology, "to fly off and leave the nest!" And let me say it again (just in case her fiance, Ryan reads this!), I couldn't think of a better guy for Kate.

As I think of the emotion I feel for my daughter, the depth of love I have for her - it warms my heart to know that my Father's love for me (and all of us who are his children!) is so much greater! That's hard to imagine, but it's true. Consider the words of the Apostle John in 1 John 3:1:

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

Wow! What a thought! And it's a thought that makes my day! I hope it makes your day, too!

Thanks for stopping by . . .
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...