Got Joy?

I am currently preaching a series on the desires Jesus expresses for His church as seen in his prayer recorded in John 17. The first of these five desires is joy. In John 17:13 Jesus prays, "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them." Jesus wants us to have not just a little bit of joy -- but the FULL MEASURE of HIS joy! Wow!

Now when I spoke about joy, I mentioned this important distinction: joy and happiness are NOT the same! Happiness is based upon "happenings" - it is circumstantial. As the cartoon above states, "Happiness is a warm puppy." If the puppy runs away (or Mom and Dad decide the puppy just ain't a fit - like happened in our home!) the happiness leaves with the puppy. But joy is different. It is not circumstantial. It is supernatural and internal. It is, as Galatians 5:22 reminds us, a fruit of the Spirit of God. So the Spirit grows it in us - but I believe we must do our part by cultivating the soil of our heart so the Spirit's fruit can grow! And how do we do this? In Psalm 16:11 David writes, " you will fill me with joy in your presence." The key to "getting joy" is to go hard after God! For as we live out our lives in an attitude of ongoing worship, keeping our minds and hearts fixed on Jesus Christ - God will FILL us with joy! So -- got joy? It is yours for the having.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...