Do You Talk Too Much?

As we say "goodbye" to 2008 and "hello" to 2009, I think it is helpful for all of us to take some time to "take stock" of our lives. Yesterday my message to our church family detailed a list of 7 questions for a spiritual self checkup (you can see the complete list on our web site - www.gracewv.org). One of these questions was "Do I talk more than I listen?" Most of us like to listen -- as long as it is US we are listening to! Now God's advice on this is clear. Consider the following verses:

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak... (James 1:19)

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. (Proverbs 10:19)

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions. (Proverbs 18:2)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29)

Ouch! I really need this reminder. And I need God's help to become a better listener! Yesterday I shared the following prayer with our church family. I encourage you to take this prayer and make it yours!

"I ask for wisdom to restrain my speech and the patience to listen more carefully to others before responding with my own opinions. May I be a gracious and others-centered listener rather than a controlling and self-centered talker. I desire to serve others by listening, caring and encouraging. Amen."

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...