Lights Out!

This past Sunday afternoon, I had the privilege of giving both the invocation and benediction at Millersville University's commencement ceremony (which saw close to 500 graduates receive their degree). Just before I took my cell phone off my belt to place it in my coat pocket - my wife, Sharon called. She informed me that our power went out and was wondering if I had seen anything on my trip to Millersville to explain why it did so. I informed her I had seen nothing unusual. I asked her to call the utility company just to make sure they were aware of the problem. After saying goodbye, I went on with my responsibilities and never gave the power outage another thought - that is until I arrived home around 4 PM to discover there was still no power! Sharon had contacted the utility company who had told her that they were looking at a 2 AM restoration of power. Apparently a fire had hit a small substation, knocking out power to our development and the adjoining development. Of course, the power went out on the day we were to host a Christmas party for the young adults in our church (not to mention that it was also the day of one of the biggest games of the year for the Pittsburgh Steelers!). So to say I was a bit irritated - might just be an understatement.

Well the 2 AM target for power restoration was a bit optimistic. Our power was finally restored at 1 PM the next day. So not only did plans for Sunday evening get impacted, so did plans for Monday .

Now I admit that at times during this unexpected power outage, I had to check my attitude. At those times I began to look at the "bright side" (and yes, even in the darkness there was a bright side!). I reminded myself that I needed to be thankful for the house I lived in and the wonderful things I have in it that electricity allows me to enjoy. I also thought of those in New England who were still without power - days after an ice storm hit their area! I was also very glad that the temperatures overnight on Sunday actually began to RISE! (otherwise, it could have been MUCH colder in our house!). After a few minutes of this kind of mental reflection - I saw my attitude change from a grumbling one to a thankful one!

So -- all this to say, the next time some sort of difficulty strikes you - unanticipated and unwelcome - look for God's hand of blessing. I will guarantee you that it will ALWAYS be evident! As Paul reminds us in Romans 8:28, "And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Thanks for stopping by ...

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...