Finally Home!

Today I will be undertaking a task that I have done so many times across my close to 30 years as a pastor that I have lost count. I will be officiating a memorial service. When I met with family to discuss the service, they expressed their desire that the service be a celebration. I readily and heartily agreed. And why not? The deceased had lived a long and fruitful life in which the testimony of her faith in Jesus Christ was loud and clear. So why not celebrate! The moment she left earth's shores, she arrived in the harbor of the heavenly city, for to be away from the body is "to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8). Now this is not to say at today's service, tears will not be shed. They most certainly will. But they will not be only tears of sadness (at the prospect of being separated from the one loved) but also tears of joy, knowing that the departed one is now in the very presence of God. She has arrived in the Father's house (see John 14). She is finally home! And friend, there is no better place to be!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...