Let's Go Steelers! Let's Go!

When it comes to this Sunday's Super Bowl, most people know who I will be cheering on. And if you need a hint, they wear black and gold. Unlike the Apostle Paul who could say he was born a citizen of Rome, I cannot state that I was born a citizen of the Steeler Nation. In fact, as a youngster, I was an Eagles' fan. But then in 1984 we moved to Pittsburgh and I was introduced to the Steeler Nation. And after spending five years in the Steel City, I became a naturalized citizen! Now let me say that even though I carry my Steeler Nation passport with pride, if they lose the SB on Sunday, there is one BIG reason I won't be heartbroken ... please read on to discover just what I am getting at...


The Ballad of Kurtis and Brenda

There is a "ballad" of Kurt Warner and his wife Brenda that is floating around the Internet. It tells how Kurt met his wife Brenda in the supermarket where they both worked. Kurt asked her out and she declined - all because she had two children from a previous marriage and the youngest was a wheelchair bound Downs Syndrome son. But Kurt persisted on taking Brenda out, offering to pay the babysitter and when the babysitter was a "no-show" he offered to take Brenda and her kids out. All that evening he helped care for the son ... thus capturing Brenda's heart. As this story concludes, they were married one year later.

Well I did some investigating on Snopes.com. This is a web site that evaluates these "urban legends" that circulate in cyberspace as to whether they are true or not. It seems that this ballad of Kurtis and Brenda is true as far as the big picture goes ... but false in many of the details of the story (if you want to get to the truth .... just go to http://www.snopes.com/glurge/warner.asp). But still ... the true story of their romance is indeed an inspiring one. After meeting in 1992, they married in 1997. Kurt adopted Brenda's two children. In addition, God blessed them with five more children.

As many of you know, today Kurt and Brenda Warner live in Arizona, where he is currently employed as the quarterback of the National Football League Arizona Cardinals (a far cry from stocking shelves in a grocery store which he was in fact doing prior to playing for the St. Louis Rams). His Cardinals are now headed to play my Steelers in this Sunday's Super Bowl. Kurt's relationship with Brenda and his family demonstrates that he is no ordinary jock! (And he is indeed a super star athlete as he has been named the NFL's Most Valuable Player twice and the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player in the only Super Bowl in which he has played!)

But the most important fact about this star quarterback is that he is a devoted follower of Jesus Christ! So if somehow the Steelers don't walk away from this year's SB as winners, I will be disappointed. But that disappointment will be tempered by my happiness for my brother in Christ!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...