Growing Up!


I never knew being a grandfather would be so very, very cool! I love it! I thank God for the two grandkids He has brought into our lives. Recently I have been enjoying watching our grandbaby Ella growing up. Just this past week she picked up the concept of waving "bye-bye" and giving a kiss. In addition, she now motors around the house on all fours - something she was not doing even just a week ago. Hmm. What will next week bring, Ella behind the wheel of a car?

As much as we are enjoying watching Ella develop into toddler hood, we are not surprised at what we are seeing (and hearing). We expect it. This is what babies do. They grow up! They mature! And what is true for babies in the physical realm ... should also be true of babies in the spiritual realm. Notice I said SHOULD. When we make a faith commitment to Christ we are "born again" (this is the terminology Jesus used in John 3). We are spiritual infants. But we are NOT to remain infants. God expects us to grow. Yet far too many Christians remain mired in spiritual babyhood! A major reason for this, I believe, is the average Christian's level of biblical literacy. Too many Christians are biblically illiterate. And if one does not KNOW the Bible, he or she cannot OBEY the Bible. And why is that important? Allow me to answer this question with a question. What is the bottom line of the "making disciples" mandate of the Great Commission?  Let me show you . . .

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you" (Matthew 28:19-20a).

So .... how are YOU doing? Are you GROWING in your faith walk with Jesus Christ? If not - it just may be because you aren't getting enough of the meat of the Word!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...