If It 'Aint Fun, Forget It!


As I was driving back to the office yesterday, I passed a car that had an advertisement for the Lancaster Sunday News displayed on its roof. Above the title of the newspaper were the words, "Relevant. Informative. Fun to Read." These words, of course, were meant to describe the Sunday paper. "Relevant" - yep, I want any newspaper to be relevant. I sure don't want to be reading about what's happening on Mars. "Informative" - again, right on the mark for any paper worthy of my time. I want it to tell me exactly all about the Who, What, Where, When, Why and How of everything going on in my world! "Fun to Read" - well, I sure don't want it to bore me to death as it informs me of all that is relevant around me!

Now what got me thinking was that last descriptive phrase, "Fun to Read." Whether or not you think the Sunday News is "fun to read", I think it is a real statement about our culture that a newspaper includes that quality as one of its main attractions. We are all about having fun. If you doubt me, listen to what people (especially the younger generations) often say to each other when parting (if you listen attentively you will often here, "Have fun!"). NOW please do NOT misunderstand me. I LOVE to have fun! However, life is not always fun. In fact, sometimes it is hard. Downright tough! And when hardness comes (and it will) what should be our response? The Apostle Paul gives us the answer in 2 Timothy 2:3: "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." As followers of Christ we are called upon to endure hardness ... not try to skirt around it or escape it by having "fun!"

So all this to say ... yes, make sure you have fun. Life is indeed too hard not to laugh. But beware of living by the credo that "If it 'aint fun, forget it!"

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...