Have YOU Encouraged Someone (Anyone) Today?

Yesterday our family got together for lunch to celebrate my oldest daughter's birthday and my birthday - both of which occur this week. In the process, we carried out several birthday traditions such as candles on the cake (or pie in my case) and the giving of birthday cards and gifts. One additional birthday tradition that we as a family have established over the years is to encourage and affirm the birthday celebrant. We do this by going around the table as each of us say something to encourage the birthday person. Tears, smiles and lots of laughter have made this tradition a family favorite. 

This morning, as I reflected on this particular tradition, two thoughts struck me. First, I am so very glad we do this. It has blessed me (and the rest of my family) in a HUGE way. In this harsh world in which we live, who among us doesn't need a good dose of encouragement? The second thought that struck me was this: I don't do this enough! Why only encourage once a year at a birthday celebration? Now I am not saying that I totally fail to encourage my family members at other times ... but I will confess that I don't do it nearly enough! Especially given the mandate in God's Word that we are to "encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'Today'" (Hebrews 3:13). So I want to go on record to say ... with God's help I am going to strive to become more intentional about encouraging others. And I plan to start right now (by sending an encouraging email to someone). Won't you join me? Let's become true encouragers! For Jesus' sake!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...