It's Time to Simplify!

I enjoy being a grandpa. As I watch my little grandbaby (who is now a little over 10 months old) entertain herself, I am amazed at the little things that can keep her attention. Yes, she likes her toys, but she also likes to open and close the one kitchen cabinet that is not locked (with those special kid proof latches). In that cabinet is our supply of tupperware type containers. Ella can clean it out in a matter of moments. Then she will sit there and play with the containers and their lids. All in all a pretty simple way to have a lot of fun (if you are ten months old, that is!).

As I thought of the simplicity of Ella's play, I thought of the great need so many of us (myself included) to simplify our lives. We fill our lives with so many activities and so much stuff - that we can tend to miss out on what is truly important. A lot of us would benefit from disengaging from this rat race of a world - and ask ourselves this question, "What can I get rid of that will help to simplify my life?"  I recently did this and decided to remove a small garden pond that I have enjoyed the past 7 summers. But it does take work and money to keep going - so I thought by removing it I could take a small step toward a simpler life. And really, that is what it will take to get to where I need to be ... a lot of little steps.

If you are interested in simplifying your life ... and in particular your spiritual life, I recommend you pick up the book, Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed, by Donald S. Whitney. It is a very readable book with very short chapters (about 2 pages per chapter) and lots of sound practical advice. For most of us - it's time to simplify!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...