Delays

On my journey back from Indiana the other day, I hit a potential problem when "signing in" at the self-serve Delta computer kiosk at the Fort Wayne airport. After entering all my info, viewing my itinerary and confirming that I was not checking any luggage, the computer screen issued the message, "Please see agent."  "OK," I wondered, "What's up?" So I walked up to the counter and gave my info to the agent. She worked on her computer and then informed me that there was a problem with my flight from Detroit to Harrisburg. My first thought was "Oh no, it's canceled!" But before the anxiety of spending an unwanted night in Detroit could really fill my heart - she added. "Your flight is delayed." Now that is not what I wanted to hear at that point. I was tired and I was still not feeling well (I eventually went to see my doctor yesterday - diagnosis: sinus infection). I just wanted to get home. And given that I had a 45-50 minute drive home from the airport - "delay" is not the word I wanted to hear (yet it was sure better than the word "cancel!").  The agent went on to tell me the delay was about 30 minutes (again - it could have been a lot worse!).  Well .... as it turned out, by the time I reached Detroit the flight was "on time" and we actually landed in Harrisburg ten minutes early!  Yahoo! 

All this to say -- I am a person who does not like delays (and I am guessing that is true of most of you, too!). Whether its when I traveling by plane (or car) ... or going to a doctor's appointment ... I hate delays. And what is true of my everyday life ... is also true of my prayer life. When I ask God for something .... I want to see him act NOW ... not tomorrow ... not next week .... and certainly no longer than that! I want a "God-on-demand!"  But our God does not work like that. Yes, he will always answer our prayers. Very often that answer is "Yes, but not now!"  The Bible is full of commands for us to WAIT on God (eg: Psalm 5:3 - "In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.") As we learn to wait on God ... our love for Him and faith in Him will only grow (see Isaiah 40:31). So the next time you face a delay in answers to your prayers - wait on Him. He will answer in HIS time (see Ecclesiastes 3:1-11).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...