The Prayers of the Purtians

The Puritans were an influential group of English protestants who lived during the 16th and 17th centuries. They have left behind a body of literature that impacts Christianity to this day. One of my favorite books is a book titled, The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions. I like to read a prayer each day .... and use the prayer to focus my heart, soul and mind upon God. And these prayers do just that because these Puritans knew their God! (just reading a few prayers will show the reader that these Puritans had none of the silly thoughts about God that some modern writers today do). The other day, as I prayed through one of the prayers of this book, I came to the following lines that really spoke to my soul. I therefore, share them with you in the hopes they will also encourage your heart. 

"Let me not be at my own disposal, but rejoice that I am under the care of one who is too wise to err, too kind to injure, too tender to crush.
Help me to guide my affections with discretion, to owe no man anything, to be able to give to him that needs, to feel it my duty and pleasure to be merciful and forgiving, and to show to the world the likeness of Jesus."

Now that's a prayer of someone who knows God. I encourage you today ... make this prayer YOUR prayer!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...