Teen Texting on the Rise ... and the Impact on Relationships Will Be???

A new poll by the Pew Research Center's Internet and American Life Project reveals that cell phones have become the preferred means of communication among American teens. According to the poll's findings, 75% of U.S. teens now have a cell phone ... and for 54% of them, texting is the preferred way of communicating with friends. And this trend will probably only grow.

This leads me to this question: In the long term, will all the communicating we do via technology hinder or help the quality of our relationships? I wonder. If so much of interpersonal communication involves body language and tone of voice --- how does these come across via a text message (or an email)? Hey, I am one who is quick to fire off a text or email to communicate with a friend or family member. But if I want to really communicate with someone concerning an important matter, I will do my best to do so face-to-face. So all this to say ... go ahead - use your cell phones to text and your computers to email. But PLEASE don't forgo the face-to-face communication that will really build depth in your key relationships!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...