The Series Finale of "Lost"

I don't watch many TV shows. Apart from some newscasts and sporting events, I usually limit myself to watching one (or at most two) television series with any regularity. The one I have followed in recent years has been ABC's Lost. Those of you who are fellow "Lost-ers" have probably by now viewed the final episode of Lost (my wife and I viewed it last night as we were unable to see it live on Sunday evening). As the show concluded, I was trying to figure it all out and decide on whether or not I liked it (my wife informed me immediately that she indeed liked how it ended). Guess what ... I am still unsure of how I feel about the series' conclusion. But as I think on this (and trust me, I won't spend much more time on this) ... here are some thoughts:

1. For me, the series finale left too many questions unanswered, too many details unexplained. For example, we know how Jack died, but how did the others die? And why wouldn't Ben Linus enter the church for the closing scene ... and what ever happened to the island?  As I posed these questions to my wife, she reminded me that really - that is true to life. Many of our questions about life remain unanswered - and details unexplained. There are a lot of loose ends in life - Lost was no different.

2. The finale led viewers into the "after life." Yea! I thought! At least the writers got that part right. There is an "after life" for all of us, as the Scripture states clearly, "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" (Hebrews 9:27). So there is an "after that" to life. The writers got that! (but they missed the judgment part!).

3. What I will miss most about the series is the characters. The writers did a wonderfully creative job of telling the stories of the various people who made up the cast. I felt that I had become friends with all of them. This reminds me of how important relationships are to me (and this is no surprise given that God created us in HIS image ... and He is a relational being (think "Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and so we are relational beings.) Therefore, I need to give more weight to the significant relationships in my life.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...