When Life Brings Pain

This is indeed a sad world in which we live. Far too often, we experience pain. It may be physical, financial, emotional, relational or spiritual in nature. But no matter how it manifests itself ... it hurts. And there are times the pain pierces us to the very core of our souls.

So when this occurs, how can we cope? How can we "keep on keeping on" with the demands of life. It's tough putting in your eight hours on the job when your life is falling apart around you. Recently I ran across the following words in a book I am reading (a book that I would label as one of the best books I have read recently!). Please take a moment and read through Kevin DeYoung's remarks:

"He (God) will turn to good whatever adversity He sends me. The Bible is not naive about suffering. Trusting in God's provision does not mean we expect to float to heaven on flowery beds of ease. This is a 'sad world' we live in, one in which God not only allows trouble but at times sends adversity to us. Trust, therefore, does not mean hoping for the absence of pain but believing in the purpose of pain. After all, if my almighty God is really almighty and my heavenly Father is really fatherly, then I should trust that He can and will do what is good for me in this sad world. Parents, don't you wish your kids had more faith in you and trusted that you knew what was best and were always on their side? I imagine God wants the same kind of faith for all of us." (The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism).

Thanks for stopping by ...

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...