Did God Really Say . . .?

Several years ago, a pastor in the West Africa nation of Gabon, drowned as he attempted to walk on water.  Franck Kabele, 35, told his congregation that God had revealed to him that if he had enough faith, God would enable him to walk on water just as Jesus had done.  Pastor Kabele gathered his congregation on the beach indicating to them that he would walk across the Komo estuary, which takes 20 minutes by boat. “He walked into the water, which soon passed over his head and he never came back," one eye-witness claimed. 

What was this man thinking?  Why didn’t he turn back when it became apparent that he was not walking on top of the water? Perhaps he could not swim, or maybe he got a cramp. Whatever the case, I just don’t know.  But I do know one thing: the revelation he claimed was from God was not.  Over the years, God gets “blamed” for a lot of things.  Many have claimed to have received revelations from God in which God has allegedly told them to do some wild and crazy (and often down right bizarre) things.  Why are people so susceptible to this?  Why did Pastor Kabele believe so fervently in his “revelation from God” that he was willing risk his life?  I can’t say for sure. But as I think about this man and how he responded to what he thought was a revelation from God, it makes me look at my own response to what is undoubtedly and without question a revelation from God.  I am speaking of the Bible.  I read it.  But do I believe it?  Do I believe it enough to strive to obey it?  Does my faith in it as God’s revelation motivate me to implement its precepts and principles in to the very fabric of my daily routine?  These are good questions for all of us to consider.  For as the Apostle Paul reminded Timothy, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). 

At Grace Church (where I am privileged to serve), we believe the Bible is God's inspired Word. As such, it is to be read, believed, obeyed and shared. I hope you are striving to do so! Your life will be better (FAR BETTER) for it! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...