Friday Coffee with PJ

Enjoy your coffee (as I am sure enjoying mine!). As you do, here are a few random thoughts rambling through my head.

1. As I sit here at my computer, typing out these thoughts, outside the rain is falling ... probably better said "pouring" ... from the clouds. Of course, it is April and we all know April showers bring May flowers (and as someone told me recently when I had mentioned this ... "Yeah, and May flowers bring pilgrims!" How lame is that!). All this rainfall reminds me of something God says in the Scriptures:

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
    and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
    giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it" (Isaiah 55:10-11).

The reason God's Word can do this is because it is "living and active" (Hebrews 4:12). Therefore, when we read it, the living and active Word of God will do its work within us. But we have to be IN it for it to work IN us! So ... what's your plan (and I surely encourage you to set up a plan if you don't have one) for daily Bible intake? 

2. This morning at our Pre School, my 3 1/2 year old grandson came up to me and said, "Papa ... tell Gwammy I hope she feels bedder soon!" That warmed my heart as it did my wife's when I gave her Jack's message. Caring like this for one another is one of the traits of a follower of Jesus. But alas, all too often we slip into the default setting of our fallen human nature. That setting is ... "I care for ME first!" Determine today to show some care to someone around you. Do an act of kindness for someone ... and do it in the name of Jesus. It is what He calls us to do. 

3. A closing thought to "chew on" as you go through your day: 

"One of the prime acts of faith is to cast your soul on God as all-sufficient to make you completely happy" (William Gurnall, quoted in Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings). 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...