Friday Coffee with PJ

OK ... just grabbed my cup of San Fransisco Fog Chaser (don't you just love that name!). Here are a couple of thoughts for your morning coffee.

1. My wife and I attended our granddaughter's preschool "graduation" last evening. It was cute watching all the little children receiving their "diplomas" and then posing for pictures. Jesus had some rather strong words for his disciples when they tried to prevent little ones such as these children from coming to him (Mark 10:13-16). If children matter to Jesus, then they had better matter to us! So my question for you this morning is this: what are you doing to invest in the life of a child? And I'm not just referring to your own children but also to the other children around you. They need to see Jesus in us! So let's show them!

2. Wildfires are right now raging through portions of California. Where they have been is unmistakable, as they leave a path of destruction in their wake. Large homes are consumed in a matter of mere minutes. And this morning I heard on the news that someone lost their life overnight as result of these fires. This reminds me of what James has to say about the tongue. He uses the metaphor of a raging fire in reference to it (James 3:5-8). Now from our experience we know how the tongue can sear and burn a person's heart. Our own hearts have scars left by the fire of another person's tongue. All of us need to heed the counsel James gives earlier in his book, where he tells us that we must be quick to listen slow to speak (James 1:19). I suggest you do something that I have done and found helpful over the years: pray Psalm 141:3, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!"

Thanks for stopping by . . .
Pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...