Defending the Bible

Yesterday I did a Google search for quotes about the Gospel. My search led me to the site, goodreads.com.   As I read through the quotes, I noticed several quotes from Scripture. Several were quotes of Jesus, another was a quote of the Apostle Paul. What struck me was these quotes were all labeled "anonymous." Curiously, I clicked on "anonymous" which linked to another page. On this page, the reasons were given as to why a quote received the "anonymous" label. Here is what I read:



Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons: 

* They are officially published under that name 
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author 
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author 


Upon reading this, I thought to myself, "Really? Since when are these "religious texts," these quotes from the Bible, not generally attributed to a specific author? Only a bias against the Scriptures could lead a person to this conclusion. 

All this to say, there are a huge number of people around us who are either totally clueless about the Bible (the rate of biblical illiteracy is indeed climbing), or indifferent to it, or are downright antagonistic toward it. So do we need to stand up and defend it? In answer to that, I happen to agree with C.H. Spurgeon, the London pastor from yesteryear when he said, "Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Unchain it and it will defend itself. 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj



Would-As-Soon-Defend-A-Lion-U.aspx#2QTRKZ0bIuBdsMTD.99

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...