The Fading Applause of Oscar Night

Sunday night all the stars met in Hollywood for the Oscars. Maybe you watched. I did not. I had other things I wanted to do. But as I heard about who won what Oscar, I thought about just how fleeting fame can be. Think about it. Can you name who won the Oscar for best actress in 1954? Or how about best actor in 1981? Best director in 1995? Best film in 2001? I must admit that I can't even name who won an Oscar last year!

These movie stars crave an award that brings applause for the moment. However, we as Christ-followers, pursue rewards that will last for eternity! That's right, the applause of heaven never echoes into the silence. The crown we strive for "will last forever." (See 1 Corinthians 9:25). So when you get to the end of your day today, take a look back. What did you attempt for God's Kingdom? It is as we "seek first his (God's) kingdom and his righteousness" (see Matthew 6:33) that we add to to the jewels of our crown. I hope you added a diamond today!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...