Amazing Grace - Amazing Movie!

You need a lift? A bit of inspiration? I suggest you grab a friend and head for the movies. That's what I did on Monday. With my wife Sharon at my side, I viewed with delight the new movie, Amazing Grace. It is the true tale of how a Christian by the name of William Wilberforce successfully led the movement to abolish the British slave trade in the late 1700's and early 1800's.

Wilberforce faced huge opposition in his crusade to outlaw slavery. The trading companies who depended on slave labor to plant, cultivate and harvest their sugar (and other) crops exerted much influence in the British parlimant and on the British crown. But Wilberforce, whose compassion for the slaves drove him tirelessly on their behalf, would not give up. Finally, after years of defeat, Wilberforce's efforts were rewarded when in 1807 Parliment enacted the Slave Trade Act which abolished the slave trade throughout the British Empire. For Wilberforce, this was just the beginning. He fought on until, just three days before his death in 1833, slavery itself was outlawed and slaves throughtout the British Empire were emancipated. Wilberforce's tale is a wonderful story of Christ-like compassion and bull-dog persistence.

Now you might be wondering at this point why the movie's title, Amazing Grace. In 1785 Wilberforce had a spiritual encounter that he described as a conversion experience. As a result he committed his life to the service of Christ. Shortly thereafter, John Newton, the former slave trader turned preacher, became one of Wilberforce's spiritual mentors. Newton is best known as the writer of the hymn, Amazing Grace. At one point in the film, Wilberforce visits Newton. Newton is now well advanced in years and blind from cataracts. In the scene, Newton is preparing his memoirs concerning his slave trading days for Wilberforce to use in his battle to outlaw slavery. During their conversation, Newton says to Wilberforce, "I have two strong memories of my life. One that I was a great sinner and second that Christ is a great Savior!" Wow! I found myself rejoicing with Newton in God's amazing grace!

There's not a lot of movies that I am so quick to recommend. But I think this one is worth your money and your time!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...