I Wish My "Forgetery" Did Not Work So Well!

Recently while attending a funeral, I ran into a young man that I had not seen in some 25 years. Today he is married with a couple of kids. Back then he was still in elementary school. As we chatted (chatted? that's what women do!) - as we TALKED, he made reference to a memory he had of me. It seems that at one point I had taken him to play tennis. During our time on the court, it began to rain and he was all concerned that his brand new Phillies jacket was getting wet (I could say something here like it would not matter much as the Phillies are all wet anyway - but I will restrain myself!). As he described that incident, I searched deep into my brain (OK - I know you are thinking it so I will go ahead and just say it - I did not have far to go!) and could not recall that memory. But since my friend was much younger, I chose to believe him that the event he described actually did take place.

It's funny how our memories work. We can remember some of the craziest things from our past (and sometimes a loooonnnnggg way back) but then can't remember what we had for supper the night before! But God NEVER forgets! He ALWAYS remembers! Except when he CHOOSES TO FORGET! God chooses to forget? Yes! And just WHAT does he choose to forget? "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more" (Hebrews 10:17). So God chooses to forget the sins of those who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ - trusting him and him alone for the salvation of their souls and the forgiveness of their sins! Wow! No matter how ugly and no matter how many our sins might be - because of the cross of Jesus, God chooses to forget our sins! Now THAT'S a blessing to tell others about!

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...