Our Response to the Poor of India

Poverty in India is widespread. In fact, India still has the world’s largest number of poor people in a single country. Of its 1 billion inhabitants, an estimated 350-400 million are at or below the poverty line. To put that in perspective, there are more poor people in India than there are people living in our country!

God has a heart for the poor - and he wants us to share that compassion. In Proverbs 19:17 we are told that "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done." Now there is not a lot we can do for the millions of poverty stricken Indians - but there is something we can do for 200 poor boys who live at CFI. Check out my posting from yesterday. Think about giving a gift toward the need of these boys for beds to sleep in. I sometimes ask God, "Why, Lord, was I born in this country with all of its resources and wealth?" I don't know the answer to that (except to say it is by God's grace). But I do believe that with the material blessings God has given us comes a great responsiblity - and that is to give to the poor! Will you join me in giving to this small handful of poor in India?

Thanks for listening,
pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...