An Unexpected Opportunity to Serve

I have discovered across the years of preaching and teaching God's Word, that whenever I am preaching about a particular topic, God will give me opportunities (mostly unanticipated and sometimes unwelcome!) for me to apply my teaching to my own life. Sure enough it happened yet again! I have been preaching a mini-series on Jesus Christ: The Ultimate Servant. One of the truths I have been stressing is that all of us who follow Christ need to adopt his mindset, "I am here NOT to be served but to serve!" Here's what came my way.

Last Thursday night, my niece's 8 year old son was hospitalized up in Lebanon County. She called me and asked me to visit him. I readily agreed to do so, but told her my visit would have to wait until Monday (with it being the Easter weekend I was a bit busy). So yesterday, Sharon and I climbed in the car and headed north. On the way, we stopped at a Walmart and picked up a small stuffed animal for my great-nephew (his mom said he loves stuffed animals!). We arrived just as my nephew was finishing lunch. We sat with him and talked with him while he finished eating. Then for the next 1 1/2 hours we played cards, mainly "Crazy 8's." Lets' see, as I recall, my nephew won 7 games. Sharon and I managed one win each. The kid is a real card shark. But all in all, it was a good visit.

Once home, I got busy on my usual day off routine of various chores both inside and outside the house. Now did I have the time to spend 4 hours tied up visiting my nephew? I must admit that I did grumble just a bit about doing so. But as I did, the Spirit of God reminded me about what I have been preaching recently! That changed my attitude - and I actually thanked God for the opportunity to serve a little guy in need! (although I wish losing all those games wasn't part of the package!!!)

Friends, keep your radar up. Look for those around you who might have a need that you can help meet. Remember, if you want to become great in God's Kingdom - you must serve others! (See Mark 10:43-45)

Thanks for listening,

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...