An Open Door (part 3)


Back to that day in Jane's Cafe when Dave Guiles, Executive Director of Grace Brethren International Missions (GBIM) asked me to consider traveling to Africa to partner with Augustin Hibale's ministry. Now why did Dave ask me to consider this ministry opportunity? Given that Augustin's ministry to those in authority includes (among others) pastors, educators and police, Dave thought my background of pastoring (for almost 30 years now), teaching (I am in my 15th year as an adjunct professor at Lancaster Bible College), and serving as a police chaplain (now in my 9th year) made me a good fit to help Augustin in his ministry. In addition, my earned doctorate would, as Dave put it, open many doors to me in Africa. As I mentioned in my first posting on this topic, when Dave first threw this my way, I did not jump up and down! I was not asking him how soon he thought I could go. But in contrast to my reaction in 1993 to the opportunity to go to Russia with the CoMission (which grabbed my heart from the get-go), I began listing in my mind all the reasons I should not go to Central Africa (like, "I have enough to do here!", "I don't like big bugs and big snakes", "It's too dangerous over there", "What will I have to eat?" etc.). Dave sensed my hesitancy, and so he simply asked me if I would be willing to "pray about the opportunity." Not wanting to appear unspiritual in front of the director of our Fellowship's Missions agency, I agreed to do that much.

As we parted that day, Dave asked me if he could email Augustin about our conversation. I readily agreed. After all - no big deal, right? Tune in tomorrow and I will let you know what God did as a result of that first very brief email.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...