To Complain or To Give Thanks - That is the Question!

Yesterday, my wife and I stopped by the dealership were I had bought my PT Cruiser seven years ago. They had just completed the required PA state inspection. It was time to bring the Cruiser home. After paying the bill, I walked out to the car, climbed in, and started it up. The engine coughed and sputtered a few times and then quit. It refused to start up again! So I calmly walked back into the service department to inform them of my dilemma. The mechanic who had done the work was summoned. After a quick look under the hood, he announced that he would have to check it out in the morning as he had no idea as to the cause of the problem. So I climbed back into our Nissan and Sharon and I returned home.

Now I could have grumbled and complained about this situation. After all, it would mean another day with only one car, another trip to the dealership when the Cruiser was finally road worthy and another bill to pay! But I made a choice to look on the "bright side." The Cruiser could have shut down halfway home or in my garage - either case necessitating a tow back to the dealership. Also, if something major was about to go ... better now than after the middle of April when my extended warranty is due to expire. Finally, I chose to be thankful that the Cruiser is our second vehicle and not our only vehicle.

All this to say -- we can ALWAYS find something for which to be thankful, no matter how trying, irritating, frustrating or difficult a situation might be. And God wants us to cultivate a thankful heart for He tells us in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 that we are to "give thanks in ALL circumstances." So the next time you are tempted to grumble or complain ... instead look for something in the situation for which you can offer thanks and DO IT!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...