Back from Vacation with Some Random Thoughts


As I begin to settle back into the routine of work, here are some thoughts floating around my head:

1. Time sure seems to operate differently when one is on vacation. Whereas time usually moves quickly while at work ... while on vacation it passes with blazing speed! As I crawled out of bed this morning it was hard for me to believe that I had just had a week's vacation - but yep, I counted my days off and it was a week!  Hmm. Why does vacation time speed by so fast?  I guess the old adage is right - "Time flies when you are having fun!"  And one thing that characterized my week off was a boatload of fun (which for my wife and I included lengthy visits to Appomattox Court House (where Lee surrendered his army to Grant) and Gettysburg (the new visitor center there is quite impressive!) - what can I say? We love history!) There are many lessons to be learned from history. From time to time its benefical to take a look back (whether it be our nation's history or our own personal history). We just might learn something from yesterday that will help us live our lives today!

2. This coming Saturday night we finally get the hour of sleep back that we lost last March when we turned the clocks ahead to Daylight Savings Time. This coming Sunday morning (at 2 AM) Daylight Savings Time will come to an end. That means we get to turn the clocks back upon retiring!  Hurrah! I wish we could do this every night! (But if we were to do that, we would soon be heading to lunch in the dark!) I love my nights. I love climbing into bed when totally exhausted and then drifting off to Sleepville!  This is one reason I just love the word the book of Hebrews uses for heaven ... "REST!"  Wow!  What an experience that will be - to be able to rest forever!!! Thanks to what Jesus Christ did for me on the cross (paid the penalty for MY sin) I am heading to heaven! What about YOU? Have you trusted Christ as your savior yet?

3. Two excellent baseball teams begin to slug it out starting tonight in the World Series. The New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies were one and two in the number of home runs hit during the regular season. So the series could turn into a real slug fest! I think the teams are fairly evenly matched and both are playing good baseball. I sure hope the Phils win - but if they don't, my life will go on and will go on quite gladly. My gladness does not come from the success of any sports team - but rather from my relationship with a God great enough to speak the universe into existence and good enough to welcome me, a defiant rebel to his banqueting table!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...