Soda Jerks and the Immutability of God


Recently I was in the middle of a conversation with a group of people when one of them made reference to her days as a soda jerk. One of the younger participants in the conversation, with a very puzzled look asked, "What is a soda jerk?"  It never occurred to the former soda jerk that our much younger friend would have no clue as to what a soda jerk was (for those of you who are wondering right now "OK, so what is a soda jerk?" - here's the scoop: "a soda jerk was a person — typically a youth— who operated the soda fountain in a drugstore. The term refers to the person who made an ice cream soda. This was made by putting flavored syrup into a specially designed tall glass, adding carbonated water and, finally, one or two scoops of ice cream. The result was served with a long handled "soda spoon" and straws. The name soda jerk came from the jerking action the server would use on the soda fountain handle when adding the soda water" (quote from Wikipedia).  Now even though I was never a soda jerk, I can still remember my friends and I riding our bikes to Brownie's Pharmacy and getting our ice cream sodas from ... the soda jerk!

This is a reminder that times do change and sometimes change quite a bit (although in some retro eateries, you will still find soda jerks doing their thing!). In fact just the other day as I was driving through our community, I was struck by some of the changes I have seen in the twenty years that I have lived here. In the midst of all the change around us, I find great comfort in knowing that God is immutable (that is the theological term that means God does not change!). He is (as the book of Psalms likes to remind us) our Rock. And as our Rock, we can anchor our souls to Him and be secure - no matter how much life is changing around us!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...