Ouch!


Last evening, I turned on my television to catch the final inning of the Dodgers-Cardinals baseball game. The Cardinals were leading 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth (that's the last inning for you non baseball fans!). The Dodgers were at bat. They had one runner on first base with two outs. The batter hit a line drive to left field. The left fielder ran in on the ball ... he extended his glove to catch the ball (which would have been the third out of the inning and thus the end of the game with the Cardinals winning). However, he somehow misjudged the ball and ended up dropping it. The next two batters both got hits ... game over with the Dodgers winning the game, 3-2. I imagine the left fielder was feeling pretty disgusted with himself as he sat after the game alone in the locker room.

All of us make blunders. Yep. We drop the proverbial ball. And yep. We (at least I know I do) get pretty down on ourselves when we do. And I guess that is OK ... as long as we don't stay disgusted with ourselves. Instead we must seek to learn from our mistakes and then move on with life, realizing that to err is human. Now I am not making that statement so we can excuse ourselves every time we willfully choose to fail or sin ... that is not what I am talking about here. Rather I am referring to those times when we just do some stupid things (like the time I dropped my PDA into a septic tank!). These are not intentional on our part ... they are accidents (the Cardinal's left fielder did not intend to drop the ball - he simply made a misjudgment).

So the next time you (or someone else for that matter) make an "honest mistake" - go easy. None of us are perfect.

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...