Living Life as a Practicing Atheist

You are driving down the Interstate, when suddenly you see brake lights ahead of you. Traffic slows, but does not stop. What's up? Soon up ahead you spot the reason for the slow down. A police car is sitting on the shoulder of the highway, a radar gun sticking out of the window. But as soon as the police cruiser is a distant object in the rear view mirror, the traffic flow picks up its speed. Hmm. We all drive differently when we know the police are present.

And, regrettably, we do the very same thing as Christians. We all live differently when we know God is present. The key word in that last sentence is the word "know." Because God is ALWAYS present. But all too often we live as if He were not! This struck me this morning as I read one of the prayers from the book, The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions (a book I highly recommend!). Please take a moment an read the following lines from a prayer titled, Divine Promises:

"Glorious Jehovah, my covenant God, 
All thy promises in Christ Jesus are "yes" and "amen," and all shall be fulfilled. 
Thou has spoken them, and they shall be done, commanded, and they shall come to pass.
Yet I have often doubted them, have lived as if there were no God."

Ouch! Those last words in bold really struck home! I don't want to live as a practicing atheist. Yet all too often that's just what I am. May God grant us all the grace to live each day, each moment KNOWING that there is a God and He will back EVERY SINGLE ONE of the promises that He has ever given to us! 

Thanks for stopping by . . . 

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...