The Defanging of Death!

Yesterday was an emotional day for me. I did something that I have done countless times in the past for both strangers and close friends and even family members. I officiated at a funeral. The individual who died was a member of my church family and a dear friend. His faith in Christ was strong. This enables me to mourn his departure from this earth with hope.

Those who knew John, knew he was a bear of a man. On a first encounter with him, one could easily find himself intimidated by John's large frame and loud voice. But John was not a man to be feared. As his wife put it, "Some thought of him as a grizzly bear, but he was really a big teddy bear with a heart of gold." I knew John. I agree with this assessment.

John died as a result of a battle with cancer. During the last months of his earthly life, his once strong, muscular body slowly wasted away as the disease raged on. But even though his body lost its strength, his faith never wavered. He spirit was strong to the end!

As I think about my friend this morning, the following Scripture come to mind:

1.  1 Corinthians 15:42-43 - Certainly John's body showed it's weakness in its latter days. But there is coming a day that this body sown in dishonor and weakness will be raised in glory and power!  Wow!

2.  1 Corinthians 15:55-56 - These verses remind us that even though it might appear that death has won - we know better! The victory and sting of death are momentary at best --- for the ultimate victory has been won for us by Christ on the cross!

3. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 - Here the Apostle Paul encourages us to grieve when a loved one dies - but we are not to do so as those "who have no hope." Why? Because we have hope! And our hope is found in the promised return of Jesus Christ and the future resurrection of the body! One day Christ will return. When he does so, if we are still alive on this earth - at that very moment we will be transformed and reunited with our loved ones who have preceded us in the Faith. What a glorious day that will be! Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!

Thanks for stopping by ... and John, I will see you later!

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...