A Golden Nugget

I like to read. I always have. From my days of Dick and Jane and Dr. Seuess to this present day of reading digital books on my Kindle and iPad, books and I have always been on very friendly terms. Whenever I read, I am always looking for what I call "a golden nugget." I found one while reading an excellent devotional book by John Piper titled, Taste and See. In this particular reading, Piper was writing about ten lessons he had learned from his father. Here is lesson #6: "A Christian is a great doer, not a great don'ter."  Piper went on to comment on this lesson: "We were fundamentalists - without the attitude. We had our lists of things. But that wasn't the main thing. God was the main thing. And God was worth everything."

I wish every follower of Jesus Christ would have the opportunity to read those words. Far too many of us live out our faith with an emphasis on the "don'ts" and give little thought to the "do's." All of us need to be reminded that as we live this life - God must be the main thing. And, in the words of Piper, He is indeed "worth everything!" (see Psalm 73:25).

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...