Grammy, a Nookie and a Blankie

Recently our almost 2 granddaughter, Ella was taking her afternoon nap at our house. She woke up crying. I pulled her out of her crib and began to console her. But no matter what I did ... she was not to be consoled! When I carried her to the living room, she saw her Grammy and reached for her. As she continued to cry, my wife asked me to retrieve her little nook (pacifier) and blankie from her crib. As soon as I handed them over to Ella - she calmed down.  It took her Grammy, her nookie and her blankie to finally bring her the comfort and security she was craving.

As you well know, life can be harsh. Stuff happens that brings pain and heartache. In those moments we long to be comforted. For Ella ... she found her comfort in her Grammy, nookie and blankie. How about YOU? What brings you comfort?  I am afraid far too many of us seek comfort in wrong places and wrong things. As a result the comfort we might find is short lived. So where can we find comfort that lasts?  The Heidelberg Catechism has the answer (for more info on the Heidelberg Catechism go to my DEEPER '11 blog). The very first question (of 129) asks, "What is your only source of comfort in life and and death." Here is the Heidelberg's answer:

"That I am not my own, but belong - body and soul, in life and in death - to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven: in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to Him, Christ, by His Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and make me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for Him." 

Now that's comfort that lasts ... forever and ever .... AMEN!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...