It's Hard to Believe Sometimes . . .


As I look at the digital thermometer that sits on my home office desk, it is currently reading 11.5 degrees. That's downright cold! It's hard for me to believe that less than 48 hours ago, my wife and I were eating breakfast OUTSIDE, enjoying the Bahamian sun at our hotel in Nassau (and the word "enjoying" might be understating it a bit!).

As I reflected on this ... it hit me that there are a number of realities in my life that I find hard to believe. Here's a few:

1. It's hard for me to believe that in just over a month I will be turning 55. My kids are all grown up ... married and having kids of their own (which means I am now married to a grandmother!). The old adage that "time flies when you are having fun" doesn't quite get it right. Better said, "Time flies." So ... we had best make the most of our time as we seek to live our lives for Christ (see Ephesians 5:15; James 4:14).

2. It's hard for me to believe that I have the privilege of being a pastor. To equip the people of God to do the work of God by teaching them the Word of God (my personal mission statement as a pastor - see Ephesians 4:11-12) is a real joy for me. This does not mean that serving as a pastor does not have it's challenges and heartaches - but all in all the blessings far outweigh any pain). And it's hard for me to believe that God has, in His providence, led me and kept me at Grace Church for the past 21+ years. Thanks Grace Family for loving me and my family!

3. It's hard for me to believe that I still struggle with sin as much as I do. I was reminded of this during our time in Nassau. At one point, we were waiting for a ferry to return us from Nassau Town to Paradise Island where we were staying (and spent most of our time). When we had arrived at the dock to catch the ferry, we were told it would leave in about 30 minutes. So my wife decided to check out the shops adjacent to the dock. I had been through enough shops, so I waited at the dock. When it became apparent that the ferry was preparing to leave and my wife had still not returned, I grew angry ... angry enough to mutter some things under my breath that certainly did not speak positively of my personal holiness. I caught myself and quickly confessed my sinful attitude - the whole time being reminded that I have a LONG WAY to go in my personal pursuit of holiness (see 1 Timothy 6:11)! (By the way, my wife returned in plenty of time to make the ferry!)

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...