Moving on to Solid Food

This past Friday I heard the familiar tone from my iPhone that told me I had just received a text. When I checked, sure enough - my youngest daughter had just texted me. She included this photo of Jack. He was enjoying (I guess) his first experience eating solid food. When I talked with my daughter later, I asked how Jack did. She told me for much of the time, she would insert the food into his mouth and he would proceed to blow raspberries with his lips. This, of course, sent the cereal my daughter was feeding him flying all over the place. But all-in-all, she said it went OK for the first time.

As followers of Jesus, we need to feed our souls. And the food God gives us to do so is His Word. Now from my observation of many Christians today (and although my observations are limited, I do believe they are broad enough to make some legitimate conclusions), far too many Christians are still feeding themselves the milk of the Word when they should have moved on to its meat (Hebrews 5:12-14; 1 Corinthians 3:2). For their daily Bible reading, they may read a verse or two .... or read a devotional like The Daily Bread. Now these are good starts toward the feeding our souls ... but we can ill afford to stop with such practices. We need to go deeper into God's Word .... studying it (2 Timothy 2:15), meditating upon it (Psalm 1:1-3), memorizing it (Psalm 119:11) ... and by all means - putting it into practice (Matthew 7:24-27). 

To make the step from merely drinking milk to eating solid foods takes time and effort (hopefully my grandson is slowly putting how it all works together!). It is because of this required time and effort (at least in part) that I believe so many fail to move on to the solid food in the spiritual journey. Indeed, it may not be the easy thing to do ... but is is the right thing to do. And only as we move on to the solid food of the Scripture - will God be able to grow us in our faith!

SOOO .... Are you still on a diet of milk? Or are you beginning to feed your soul solid food?

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...