Does Fear Control You?

Back on February 3, 2006, Egypt suffered its worst maritime tragedy when over 1000 of 1400 ferry passengers drowned in the waters of the Red Sea. The cause of the boat's sinking? Massive overcrowding and an electrical fire worked together to doom the ferry. Now in the midst of all this human suffering that occurred that day, a very disturbing tale came to light. According to many eye witnesses who survived the sinking, the captain of the ship was one of the first to flee. What ever happened to a captain going down with his ship? Or is that something that happens only in the movies?

I wonder though, if I had been in that captain's place, would I have done what he did? Drowning is not something I would ever want to experience. And the prospect of being sucked down under the surface of the water by a sinking ship would surely strike fear into me! Yes, perhaps enough to cause me to desert my post at the helm!

Fear is powerful. It can turn a dutiful captain into a panicked deserter. And it can control us as well. What is the antidote to this poison of fear? It is faith. Faith overcomes fear. Faith helps us to be courageous even in the midst of overwhelming odds. Faith moves us to do great things during tough times (read Hebrews 11 and you will see just what I mean). So when difficulty crashes into your life and threatens you - be strong, be bold - for the LORD your God is with you (Joshua 1:9)!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...