What Does It Mean to Love God?

I find today that many Christians have strange ideas about what it means to love God. This is unfortunate, given that the greatest of all of God's commandments (according to Jesus himself) is to love God (Matthew 22:35-38). So what does it mean to love God? Over sixteen hundred years ago, St. Augustine defined love for God with these words, "I call [love for God] the motion of the soul toward the enjoyment of God for his own sake, and the enjoyment of one's self and of one's neighbor for the sake of God." 


Take a few moments and reflect on this insightful definition. Then ask yourself, "Is my soul moving toward the enjoyment of God for his own sake?"  All too often we love the gifts far more than the Giver. And that, my friends is NOT what loving God is all about!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

pj

No comments:

Take Time to Rest!

 Recently, my wife and I took a few days off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland. On the way home, we stopped at Rehoboth Beach. There we enc...